Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Okay, Three Things

First, it was officially the first day of Spring! When I ran screaming from the office today (what most people call "going to lunch") I saw the first mini-skirts of the season! While it dos take some time for the eyes to adjust to the pallor the site affords, it's a sure sign the Spring is around the corner!

Second, the whole writing routine is coming together. I finished a rough draft of "When I Became the Boss" and started on "Dad's Hole". Both are children's books for grown-ups: the first relating the tale of when a computer programmer gets promoted and the second a story of how a girl's father dug a hole so deep the whole house fell in.

I've also started "The Flora and Fauna of the Cubicle Plains". It's my humble contribution to help save the environment. My observations have uncovered various birds, such as the Twittering Agile, and the Yellow-Bellied Kwikwyn. There have also been a number of mammals sighted: the Black Berryfondle, the Caffeinated Sloth and of course the majestic Silver-Back Legacy Beaver. I even encountered a strange species of tortoise: the Directionless Steering Tortoise to be precise. I am currently writing up characteristics and common habitats of these creatures and should have some rough drafts available soon.

And of course the reading on writing is going swimmingly. I finished off Stephen King's "On Writing" and have started a couple of the other books on loan to me. Hopefully I'll have those back to their respective owners by the end of April.

Thirdly, I must admit I find myself in the grips of another obsessive-compulsive little phase. It's been quite a while since the last one so this ain't so bad. The object of my obsession this time is 18th Century Naval warfare. In other words, Pirates!

You see about a month back my little brother and room-mate borrowed a copy of "Sid Myers' Pirates!" and started playing on his laptop. So I decided to load my version on my laptop. I think I even managed to get Laroo interested in playing. We'll see on that though.

Then I recalled that there was a MMO based on the player being a pirate or national captain in the 1700's West Indies. Revisiting the site, I found myself quite enamored with Pirates of the Burning Sea. Quite enamored. As far as searching incessantly online for ship and sail designs, pirate lore and even exclaiming "Ahoy!" to those lubbers at work. Arrrrrrrr....

And that in turn had me pricing out a new do-it-yourself home gaming rig.

Add Spore to that and you have yourself a gaming future.

Meanwhile, I've stumbled upon two really good time wasters. Spamalot! is pretty much your basic catapult game, but add the Monty Python and the Holy Grail theme's and graphics and well, I'm hooked. The other way I've been wasting time is this little gem which is really hand drawn. Amazing what you can do with no artistic ability but an insidious mind....

And that's three things! Now I must go fling chickens at the French. Arrr........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's awesome... on the writing, on the gaming and on getting a girl interested in the gaming (always hard to do).

Well done sir. For an OCD, you're doing quite well...