Sunday, December 14, 2008

Frozen

Yes, Capa, I know I haven't updated in a while. I'm trying though.

So first off, me and Spike. Things are going. Slowly. Glacial. She did manage to buy a house last week and so now she has some free-ish time. We had planned to watch The Dark Knight at her place on Friday. It was going to be the big test. Meeting her dogs and seeing if they approve is a huge "moment". For those of you who have never dated a woman with pets, they have to like you or it's over. Secondly it would have been our first night in, which is another "moment" that shows levels of trust etc.

But, of course, we got the first serious arctic cold front on Friday afternoon. We called it off for safety's sake (albeit reluctantly on my part) but I knew it was the right thing to do after it took me more that two hours to drive home. And apparently I was on the good roads.

The other good thing about breaking the date is because I'm on call this weekend and the damn phone hasn't stopped chiming. In addition to the plethora of "hit a button, something broke" automated messages, something odd with passwords happened last night and I'm still trying to get someone to have a look to see what the hell is going on. Having to deal with work issues would not have impressed Spike I'm sure and I certainly would have been ... grumpy. I still am of course, but for different reasons.

With the thermometer hovering around -30 with wind chill, it's not like I would have gone for long, brisk walks this weekend but it's always nice to have a choice. Despite the biting cold, it's still a balmy 25 centigrade in my apartment, so at least I'm working in shorts and not much else. And adding insult to injury, half of my team went on a spontaneous trip to Hawaii.

So besides all that, things are basically at a stand-still weekend-wise. I'm hoping for thaws on several levels over the next week, but according to the weather and my bachelor's intuition, that may be a long time coming.

No comments: