Wednesday, November 25, 2009

O Solo Gringo

I'm back from Ixtapa!

Not a bad trip all said and done. The primary goal was to (finally) get my open water certification for scuba diving, which I managed. I liked the second day of diving (I just about threw up on the first) and if nothing else gives me something to do when I'm on my next vacation.

Last time on a beach I was riddled with angst, despair and loneliness (and turned 40). This time I just read all my books, got a tan instead of a burn, didn't drink nearly as much and just chillaxed. The days were filled with sitting on the beach, the night with, well, TV. That may sound like an odd thing to do, but since I don't watch TV at home, it (sorta if you think about it) makes sense on vacation.

Despite that, I think vacation nights would be much better bringing someone along. Traveling solo is usually undertaken by those who are outgoing, adventurous and make friends easily. In other words, the opposite of me, at least in that regard. I'm still going to do it, because lying on a beach and swimming in the ocean is relaxing and as I tend towards the hyper-tense, I need that sort of thing.

And next time I'm bring more books. I went through one just on the trip down there. Oh, and actually use the Spanish-language software I bought so it doesn't take me a week to figure out "On y dos" doesn't mean hello.

No comments: