Sunday, November 06, 2005

Rocket Surgeon in Training

Okay, as per my last post, I would like to take on the heady mantel of indie game developer.

The one teeny, tiny hitch is that I never coded a game.

Sure, I've designed games in my head, even gone as far as mapping out the mechanics on paper, but I even haven't done my own clone of Tetris. So I'm gonna put my money (which in this case, equals time) where my keyboard is.

As my 3Ds class has ended, I now have free Saturdays. I'm going to dedicate those Saturdays to building a game. Here's the rules:

  • The game will be a single-client, 2-player version of Rocketmen (see sidebar for link)
  • The game will be written in C# (which I have yet to really learn, and work sure as hell ain't paying for training).
  • The game will only use basic top-down graphics as graphics are not the focus of this. The caveat to that is to make graphics as non-coupled with the game engine as possible.
  • The game will be complete by March, 2006.

However I will not be distributing code, as WizKids Games does hold the copyright. This is an educational exercise only.

I will be blogging the experience though (separate blog) as I go long, almost live, so I'll have an intense developer journal. I'll post a link when I post the first blog.

Now, to find a copy of Visual Studio for C# I can use.. oh wait, the Borg are happy to supply one!

Here I go!

Eeep!

No comments: