Monday, June 11, 2007

More Agents Than Jobs?

I'm beginning to wonder if there is actually just a half-dozen or so programming jobs out that and about a score or three of agencies trying to fill them.

It's a pain: each agency will change the description slightly and not tell you what company the position is for. So you don't know if you are applying for the same job three times. Add to that, a lot of places will just trash your resume if it comes from different sources, meaning no chance in aitch-ee-double-hockey-sticks of even getting an interview. So you need to work double time in your job hunt trying to keep this crap organized.

Whatever happened to the days of just marching from building to building with a stack of paper resumes in hand?

Monster, Workopolis et. al. don't help. The agencies use them. Not to mention I saw a print-out of what one of those sites thinks is my resume. Man it gets butchered! Turns out they have a cap of 2000 characters (!) per work-place entry. And I missed that little bit of fine print.

So yeah, the job hunt is annoying. But it's not nearly as bad as working at the last place.

On the other hand, Laroo and myself kind of half-jokingly looked at houses this past weekend. The first was a gorgeous Victorian brick five bedroom currently used as a abed and breakfast. The electric is all up to code, plumbing looks great etc. Apparently it was a used as a nurses residence about 100 years ago. So alot of rooms and very little "living space" which is why they can't sell the place. That and it's $600k. Still I love those old buildings.

The other place we looked at was considerably less, three years old and acres of room. Also in High River. But people like Capa do the commute every day, so that's nothing I can whine (loudly) about.

So yeah, things are good with Laroo still. In the end we decided it's a little soon yet. She needs to fix up her place to get maximum profit from the sale and I need to find an income. Poor baby: the end of the school year is near and she's going nuts, and sick to boot. We had our six-month semi-anniversary this past weekend. I got her flowers and chocolate, she got me cookies and Lego.

It's no wonder I love her madly.

Oh and speaking of Lego, this will be the end of me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's amazing how quickly you get used to the commute. Plus I listen to podcasts and novels everyday, so that really helps. Plus, you tend to decompress on a 40+ minute drive, so by the time you get home you've lost a lot of that work ugh feeling.