Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What The?

Er, I'm hoping this looks okay because the Blogger interface is currently in Kanji... one sec.

Okay that's fixed. Domo arigato, Mister Roboto.

So anywho. The job front has been quite interesting this week. I had an interview Monday with the folks over at (well I won't say at the moment) for a six month contract. I thought I did okay in the interview. When I asked when they would be making a decision they had said sometime next week. The next day they offered me the contract.

Between the interview and the offer, I got a call from another company, who are actually number 2 on my "ideal places" list for a second interview. We booked for Friday, which was supposed to be before the first guys made a decision. So I had to tell the agent who set up the first interview that I would like to wait until that second interview results were in.

I hate it when it when I'm spoilt for choice. History has shown that as I try and make the best choice, all the options fade away. So I'm hoping #2 gets back to me mid-week next week.

And I got yet another call from a different agent about a job application I had forgotten about. They wanted to talk to me but felt my price was too high. Now my rate of pay for me is always negotiable but not until after an interview. I base a great amount of how much I'm willing to give (or not give) based on the interview. There's tons of literature out there that says a person going into an interview is also checking out the position, the company, the environment etc. Someone wanting to haggle on price even before a face-to-face throws up red, ragged, bloody flags. And besides, nobody else has complained. I've done a lot of research on pricing in the here-and-now. And I also give a number of ranges depending on what kind of position it is (dependent on both technologies and responsibilities) so there is a lot of leeway given up front.

Yeah I was kind of miffed that the first question they ask is "Can you come down on your price?" when they haven't even seen the product yet.

Ah well. Interview tomorrow at yet another oil and gas outfit (which reminds me, gotta do the research), the big interview on Friday. Long weekend next weekend and (with any luck) back to work next Monday.

It's been two months of unemployment. Once in a long while it's boring. Most of the time it's enjoyable. But all of the time, there's no cash coming in.

C'mon lottery ticket....

No comments: