Saturday, August 04, 2007

A Job Half Done

Well, I found a place.

About $200 a month more than I wanted to spend (actually, about $600, but rents have gone up). The location is good, it's a decent size and it's in a quiet neighborhood. And surprising it's one of two places I saw today that were tolerable. What won out was the aforementioned quietness, and also the layout of the apartment: There's a "dining room" that I can use as an office area. The kitchen is tiny but you don't need much room for Kraft Dinner.

So the next step is to actually figure out how to get from here to there. I'll find out Monday when the current residents will be gone: I hope it's before the 1st, maybe I can hire movers.

One (not surprising) came out of the various conversations with building managers: they're having a hard time renting out one-bedrooms. I heard that out of ten applications, only one or two qualify (something about not spending more than 1/3 of income on rent). And that was from more than one landlord. Can't say I feel much pity, but I can hope that rents will settle down a bit. What with what's happening with house prices down south, interest rates going up and the market actually slowing down (it may not seem like it, but those who can buy have bought).

I saw plenty of For Sale signs in the past few days. And it seems like they aren't going anywhere.

And joy of joys, Laroo (my sweet Laroo) will be back tomorrow. She'll be jetlagged, hungry and sorely missing her puppy (no, not me) but I don't care :)

Yay!

Now, I'm going to enjoy the rest of my day reading comics, watching 300 and playing games. After that, I need to pack.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does that mean you got a one bedroom?
Or are you still living with bro - for now? :)

Dykmoby said...

I will be getting the one bedroom. Little Bro is going to be renting a room as he'll be moving about quite a bit over the next year.