Sunday, November 25, 2007

Just Breathe

Wow, it's done. The death march on our lovely piece of software is out the door. I'd like to say good riddance but there was a bunch of stuff we had to pull to make the deadline and our "sponsors" want it in by Christmas. However we'll be doing it my way. There are problems with the newly deployed system because of (approved) shortcuts that is taking up time.

It's done when it's done. Not to mention I have a very overworked team at the moment that really just want to coast until the holidays and I can't blame them. They're not used to this pace. I don't want them to get used to it. That of course means that the sponsors can't get used the pace. I've been using the term "unsustainable level of effort" quite a bit lately, so we'll see how that goes.

On the home front, well I haven't been home all that much. Yesterday was the first day in over six weeks I've done a top-to-bottom house cleaning. I have a pretty high tolerance for things getting ... disheveled but I have my limits.

I acquired a nice little Lego box that is just hint of things to come. Looks like my favorite toy company is waking up to the fact that they make toys, and not model kits.

I've also purchased, but have to receive, a pretty high end panel TV through work. A little pricey, so I'm thinking I need to cancel cable to afford it No great loss: I watch DVDs and my mind is loosening up a bit with the whole downloading thing. Software and music I will still buy: having worked in both industries, I know that there are some lame arguments involving the folks who actually make the music or software, but they hold true. Of course the record companies (and the MafIAAs) are fighting a losing battle but I have faith that straight economics and consumer backlash will change that up.

TV is a different matter though. I know, it's a double standard but the sheer amount of crap on the idiot box is astounding. Those few shows I enjoy have one or more of: random air time and date, late broadcast slot or cancelled after the first season. Seriously, BSG 3.0 should have been out a long while ago.... And the prices for boxed sets of other shows I want to watch cost more than a medium-quality DVD player.Don't these people want to make money off of me? C'mon, as a consumer I'll pony up some dough but we have to meet somewhere in the middle.

On the romantic front, I'm more inclined to get a dog than a girlfriend. No, not for that you friggin' pervs. I've had it with dating. Twenty years of serial monogamy with no result? Yup, time to hang 'em up. Take that last sentence as you will.

Anyways, I have to hit the gym (running routine to re-establish) and work for a couple of minutes. When I'm back, I'm going to look into this whole "torrent" thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Still haven't rec'd the TV Damn Sam... I agree about all the crap on TV though...

Having said that I was at Wal-Mart (shudder) the other day, and they had the HBO series "OZ" for $20 a season! I
ve never seen it, but I understand it's awesome. Might have to start picking that up.

Dykmoby said...

I've seen a couple, and though there's some damn fine writing, not my cup of tea (or rather, shape of shiv)