Saturday, October 18, 2008

Underwater, Underwhelmed

Le sigh!

Looks like I won't be going to a beach until next year: my scuba lessons got postponed due to leakage in a pool. I originally booked for the beginning of November for a trip at the end of November, but now the lessons are at the end. December is always nuts for travel (well, cheap travel anyways) so it looks like I'll have to go in February. Which ain't bad after all: it will be in the middle of the deep freeze around here plus I'll have some more cash on hand.

Going to go see Sukiyaki Western Django this afternoon with Big M, should be a blast (as in over the top over-use of western, kung-fu and samurai tropes). And I'm in the mood for some cheese and popcorn.

Review forthcoming.

Review Here

So last week Big M and I had lunch together a couple of times, and he mentioned Sukiyaki Western Django as something he really wanted to see but couldn't find anyone to go with. Knowing that my tastes in movies tend to be... eclectic, he asked me. After checking out the site and the trailers, I had to see this. But unfortunately we didn't arrange a specific date and didn't realize it was leaving the local theaters that night.

But then, they extended the engagement. So we just took in the matinée.

Let me put it like this: Sukiyaki distills the pure tropes of sixty years of film-making started by Sergio Leone and Akira Kurasawa. The result is a cocktail of surprising potency that bypasses any internal critic and infuses the hind-brain. That's a good thing. There were so many references to both Sergio's and Akira's films I'm very sure I missed half of them. The film doesn't pound you with them, rather they are woven into the standard, almost boilerplate plot of both genres.

Pure, concentrated cliche. But, like most of our comfort foods, it's a 90+ minute cliche that never gets old, always tastes as good as the first time, and leaves you wanting more. Hell, I went grocery shopping after the movie and something must have triggered the latent samurai/gunslinger in me. I had that rolling gait that drew coy looks from the womenfolk and deadly glances from the men.

Any movie that can do that is going straight to my DVD collection.

Capa: you gotta see this!

No comments: