Saturday, February 25, 2006

Busted

Okay, I'll get some party details and photos on later today, but first a little story and the pre-party events.

I drove into work yesterday so I could get home in time to get ready and make the party by 7 pm. Because of the odd street arrangements where I live, I cannot turn into my street from the main road during rush hour. It's a left turn against traffic.

But to get to my place then, you have to drive up four more blocks and wait at a stop light with no left-turn signal. So I usually end up waiting for four or five 'cycles' which is just a pain in the ass.

However, just before the turn-in to my street, there's a pedestrian signal with a full red light. If someone is crossing, I usually take the opportunity to turn left.

Yesterday, the cops were waiting. $115 ticket. There were only two of them, they busted the next guy, and while I was waiting to be written up four more cars made the same illegal turn.

So, I get home, swear a bit, get ready for the party and leave. On the way to the party I noticed there were cherries flashing nearly every second block with people pulled over.

Half way there I see them in my rear view mirror. I got pulled over for tossing a cigarette butt out the window. Fine for littering: $115.

But town hall assures that the Calgary Police do not have a ticket quota.

Right.

So add to that the hotel room ($167), the drinks for the evening ($60), the stuff I had to get for the costume ($150, but it's all reusable for biking, roller blading etc).

Grand Total: $547. For one night.

If I had cashed in the change in the jars I keep on my dresser, that would have been a decent week in Mexico.

But at least I had fun last night. Now I can't afford fun until May.

Pictures coming forthwith.

No comments: