Monday, May 14, 2007

Man of Leisure

My first day of unemployment!

It's been slack so far, accompanied by a slight hang-over. My friends from the old homestead, Pete and Mo, made a surprise visit this weekend. And since nobody had to go to work today we went for a little liquid entertainment. Ugh. I'm not as bad as I thought I would be but still: it's a yogurt and salad day.

One thing that came up (as these things do) is I think I discovered why I am so loathe to do yard work. A like a good big yard, but the thought of all the maintenance fills me with such a feeling of dread. I've never been sure why.

Pete figured out why: it's the same for him. As kids, yardwork was the penance for our childhood transgressions. Mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, trimming the hedges, all were forms of punishment. It's classic behavior modification. So at a very basic level, having a green thumb is equivalent to getting a pink bottom (and my Pop occasional cut a switch).

That's one more life mystery solved by drunken ramblings!

Today is just a day off, the full impact of my unemployment hasn't hit and probably won't until I get my last paycheck and work out finances. According to my estimates I have enough stashed away to get me to mid-July without touching my bankroll (in form of unpaid holiday and overtime). after that I have about four months before my bank account dwindles to zero. So lots of time. Problem now is what to do with it.

This week though is all about decompression.

No comments: