Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hey Everyone, I'm back! Hello?

Last day off before I return to the bit mines. What with one thing and another today is going to be busy but I'll give a summary, with details forthcoming.

Day one was damn hectic: alarm went off at 4:30 AM to get my 7 AM flight. The flight into T.O. was packed but we actually managed to get there on time. Bro #1 met us at the airport and we got to experience public transportation. Toronto actually has a good bus and underground system. You almost wouldn't need a car.

So after drinks and dinner (and more drinks) we went to SPAMALOT! Pretty damn good. It's a musical and I don't like musicals. It was funny though, so I give it 4 out of 5 tophats. And I gotta get the t-shirt ("I'm not quite dead yet").

So after that, the brothers Moby went to the peelers. It was described as a dive by some, but frankly I think any "gentleman's club" is scuzzy by default.

The experiment with lap-dances was a resounding success but we expended the budget sooner than expected. Yeesh.

So, drunk and fondled, went back to the hotel at 3 AM. Not quite a 24 hour day but damn close.

The next day we met up with our Uncle and went to Healy's; Jeff Healy's little downtown club. He and his Jazz Wizards put on a free show in the afternoons and it was bloody great. One of the little brothers commented that Healy himself looked stoned out of his mind, so we had to tell him that Healy is actually blind. I thought I was the unobservant one.

Later that night, we met up with the cousins and went to a club. Very hoity-toity, we westerners were a tad underdressed. Good booze and a damn good view. Calgary has alot of gorgeous women, but they're pretty cookie cutter in looks. Toronto has an incredible variety of women it was like Rome all over again.

Oh, and I ran into someone I knew there. My ex's friend. Which was cool as I liked her (not snooty like most of her friends). But I'm sure the phones/emails were abuzz after that. Still expecting a little fallout from that encounter.

Later on some family from the other side of the tree showed up so more alcohol was consumed, cheeks inched, "my how you've grown" comments made etc. We closed the place up, then me and the brothers went to the peelers. Again.

The next day was recovery day, so the cousins and the brothers did Dim Sum for lunch, then a Gypsy restaurant for dinner (which featured belly dancers). No peelers this time.

After three days of eating, drinking and various entertainments, we went to the cottage for the reunion proper. I'll write that one up later when I get my photos off the camera.

Good to be back though. Now if I can just get the rest of the week off....

No comments: