Thursday, August 10, 2006

I'm Quitting

Wow, last night I quit nearly everything!

Online dating sites: profiles deleted. Online MMOs: accounts suspended. So I'm left with my single-player games and my, er, single-player game.

Lemme explain: after I posted last night, I decided to check out the dating sites. The one where they make you answer all those questions eventually got me a few matches. Now the way it works there, you pick some multiple-choice questions (pre-written) from a list and "ask" your potential match the questions (they fill out a form). This has to happen a few times before the site lets you contact them with your own words. Any time during these exchanges, either party can suspend or out-right kill the ongoing 'dialogue'.

Imagine my lack of surprise when the women I sent these questions to halted all further contact. Every single one! And it's not like I even had a chance to make my usual bumbling advances. I sent them a short questionnaire for gods' sake: they put the kybosh on from that?

I threw up my hands, deleted my profiles on the sites I was on, cancelled the accounts and removed the bookmarks. Burn the land and sow the soil with salt. That's it.

I then fired up Planetside. I was killed about thirty seconds into the game by a guy with a pistol in a single shot (when it should take at least ten) while he was far out of range of my rifle. An obvious hack. Reported! Account de-activated, software uninstalled.

That left me with EvE online, which I am trying on a 14-day trial. Not bad, but frankly I don't have the time to devote twelve hour days to the game, which apparently is required. So I just uninstalled the software.

Which leaves me with GalCiv, Fate and Space Hack for games and, well, I have cable for that other stuff.

On the bright side it means I'll have time to actually write.

The other thing I am trying to quit, yet again, is the smoking habit. Last time at the Doc's I asked for a Zyban prescription, which I started Monday. The Doc said to take one a day, and quit smoking on the third day. Every piece of research I did said the dosage is two a day and you keep smoking for the first week. I swear to the gods....

Well considering I am trying to quit smoking, I'll be swearing alot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck on the quitting smoking. That's my next task.