Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Hackin' It

Despite my varied attempts (some successful, some not) at quitting smoking, currently I am at a pack a day now. I'm noticing that the "morning cough" is now at a tuberculosis level and there's a slight wheeze now. Add to that I'm sucking wind at the gym and on the bike (although I did make it up the hill without hitting the granny gear).

So I think I gotta quit again. For real and permanently this time.

I've tried the patch before, and it has worked. My attempt this January with it resulted in some nasty skin-conditions though. I'm going to try the gum this time around.

Here's the plan. This weekend, I buy a pack of the gum and use it to reduce intake: chew during my habitual times. These are: my "good morning" smoke, my after meal smoke, and my "my gods I'm going to kill someone at the office!" time. Etcetera.

By the end of the first week, I'm hoping to be at half a pack a day, the next week it's all gum baby.

I may be grumpy. Or homicidal. But not suicidal, because that's what I'm trying to avoid here.

The worst of my habit is actually playing computer games. I don't even realize I've lit up until I attempt to use both the keyboard and mouse at the same time and can't because of the coughin' nail wedged between my knuckles.

It will make some interesting blogging at least. Maybe a daily count here? The north-American, male, on-line version of Bridget Jones' Diary. Or something.

No comments: