Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oh Boy. Family.

So I got a call this weekend from my dad. He and the wife are coming to town for my step-neice's (or is it nephew's, I probably should find out) baptism. Which means that for a 1 hour ceremony, I have to entertain him for 72 hours.

I love my Dad, I really do, but one of the reasons I moved to another province....

Let's put it this way: he makes me look like a chatterbox. We'll have the usually "how's work, how's life" conversation for 5 minutes then the rest of the time he'll tell me he's worried about me. About everything. I actually told him I quit smoking (it was true at the time) and he'll find out I started again. So that's about 8 hours worth right there.

then there's the "why don't you come visit me? routine. I'll explain again that it's an 8 hour trip one way if I drive, or a $600+ plane ticket I fly. For Christmas, I'll fly but I willnever drive there in the winter again. Last time, it was the most harrowing experience of my life. He's retired, and very bored, which can be annoying enough, but add to that my memories of growing up largely entail how much he wanted to retire...

So yeah, I have issues with my father. But don't we all?

Don't all answer at once now....

No comments: