Sunday, April 09, 2006

I'm Baaaaack...

So I'm back from Redmond and the home of the Borg aka Microsoft.

Was a pretty good trip. Seattle is green! Forget how much you miss that when winter sets in.

The conference itself was pretty informative, but it also reinforced my opinion that MS needs to get out more. Now they have some incredibly smart people working there. But you can tell that they are pretty isolated when it comes to coding in a business context: coding products to sell is much different that coding for to support a business (ie they don't sell software).

Can't say much about what was said due to NDA, but overall I'd say they are listening, just hope their marketing department doesn't put the kybosh on some of the things that were suggested.

As for the trip itself, going there was hassle free but the way back.... Our flight from Seattle-Tacoma was delayed because the pilot reported problems with the suspension system on the flight into SeaTac. I did notice passengers grumbling about the hard landing as they got off the plane. An hour goes by, the techs show up, inspect the plane. I actually saw them shrug their shoulders and report nothing wrong. Our landing in Van was smooth as silk. I'm pretty damn sure the pilot botched the landing and then reported mechanical problems to cover up.

So it made us late for our connecting flight home. My two compatriots managed to get a flight right after but it was the last two seats. Now the reason I was last is because my luggage was the last bag to unload, so I had to wait for it. Now as I was hurrying up to catch up with them, I had to pause at an intersection to see which way they went. As I was looking around, some rent-a-cop stops me with a "Hey You!". The best way to describe this guy is podunk white-trash: the mustache and side-burns, the bad teeth, you could see the NASCAR baseball cap and ratty tshirt on the guy. So he comes over and gives me attitude, really being condescending: "Now what does that sign say? And now that other one". I really wanted to say something but slugging a security guard at an airport is a whole universe of trouble. Even thinking about it makes me see red.

Anyway, when I managed to get to the ticket counter, I got put on standby for a flight leaving a couple hours later. Thank the gods I managed to get on. So the whole journey from hotel to front door took 9 hours, when it should have taken 5...

So that was my past week, so not much more to report. Tuned up the bike today (pedal not motor). Start riding into work again, which saves me $16 a day in parking. I know I should walk but I got lazy. Okay lazier.

Regardless off the week "off" (I am dreading my inbox tomorrow) really looking forward to the long weekend.

No comments: