Thursday, October 12, 2006

Cure Worse Than Disease

Yep still sick. My sleep patterns, not always the best when I'm well, are terribly disturbed, thus the 5 AM posting. I'll be asleep in my cubicle by noon. Which is only 3 hours earlier than normal, but still.

I've been using Trend's Pc-cillan for a couple of years now as my firewall/anti-virus software. But a couple of days ago it was removed from my hard-drive.

They had released a new version when I renewed my license last week. 2007 was rich in features (more in terms of advisories, email spam tools etc) but I'm thinking it was still pretty much beta. The mail checker took so long to initialize my connection to my mail server would time out. The ability to customize firewall settings was difficult to find (and obscure to use). Now this would have been survivable if it didn't actually screw up the TCIP stack every fifteen minutes to two hours, forcing me to reboot. Granted I don't have anything to play online at the moment, but still.

That was the last straw (and a big one at that). Last year they produced an update that would go into an infinite loop and max out your CPU. I had to re-install windows. Yet I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. Not this time. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me eleven times shame on me.

I gotta go swallow a bottle of vitamin C.

1 comment:

Dykmoby said...

Hehe, already installed mate, way ahead of ya.