Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Tuesday

Never could get the hang of Tuesdays....
Monday. Everyone hates 'em, there's even a song about not liking Mondays. Now for me, Mondays are okay, you're (presumably) rested from the weekend, with a faint patina of hope on your soul. Tuesday rolls in, and that small reserve of energy you've built up over the weekend has been expended, and you still have to do whatever it is you do for four more days! Bleh.

Breaking More than One Bad Habit
Alright, here's what happened. Went to a little convenience store by work in the afternoon to get myself some snackage. Now today was supposed to be the last day I allowed myself to have smokes: only 5 today. So I go into the store, get a bag of Hickory Sticks and a lotto ticket, and I walk out with a pack of smokes without even realizing it! It had become part of the daily routine: snack-food, stupidity tax and nicotine. The nice old guy working the register doesn't even ask anymore, I don't question it. I'd chuck 'em but they are $11 a pack.
So the revision is, no smoking at work. Good thing Stray Lemming moved to another floor or he'd kill me. Or me him.

So I Didn't Go See George RR Martin

He has a book-signing today in town. Was going to go, but decided to duck out. Okay, lame out. But I have my flimsy justifications.
When I was getting me English-as-a-first-language degree, I met a lot of authors. Many. And almost all of them struck me as stuck-up elitist jerks. So I have a natural derision of auteurs. Now I'm not saying Mr. Martin is a stuck up effete intelligentsia type. But authors, as a breed, make me snarl. And I'm trying to become one, which is probably another 6 months on a couch in a well appointed office....
Second reason is I'm not a big autograph fan. I know I could get some coinage on eBay, but I don't whore myself out that way. Much. And besides, I think if a writer has anything interesting to say, they will say it in their work.

On-Line Dating

Looks like I provoked an emotional response on Lavalife. Sent a smile, got one back. Somewhere in between she had updated her profile in a way which made me pause a bit (I'm picturing cheap silver jewelry, chakra crystals and palm readings). But I wrote her anyway. Meeting people online is just like meeting people in real life, except with more spelling mistakes and bad grammar. So we'll see what happens.
PS the 'adult entertainer' is back on LL, this time with two profiles. Wonder if she remembers me? And if she would be pissed that I was the one who squealed on her.

Coda

Did laundry, dishes and cleaned up the non-linoleum half of my apartment today. Also looking at the mirror, there's some muscle tone forming 9course it may just be tumor). Screw the self-help books, if you want to improve your looks and living conditions, just be single! Which of course obviates the reasons you want to improve yourself. Hells, if I wasn't concerned about, er, things, you know... I'd gain 80 pounds in cheeseburgers alone. And leave the wrappers everywhere!

No comments: