Saturday, May 27, 2006

Review and Return

Well, just came back from X-Men 3 (and I only had to shut up one group of kids twice, but the crying infant wouldn't respond to threats).

I don't want to give it away, but a basic impression should do.

First, it's very obvious that this was not directed by the same person as the first two films: it's very action driven rather than character drive. Not that's necessarily a bad thing, but concerning the subject matter, I would have referred the original hand on the helm.

It really reminds me of the days when I read more comic books. I loved such series as The New Mutants, eXcalibur, Alpha Flight etc. At least for a while. Back in the day (and still now apparently) once Marvel had a best seller (usually after a year) they would move the creative team to a book that wasn't doing so well. What usually happened was the new team would take the story in a completely different direction, getting rid of characters and story ideas in the space of panel or two.

The movie was a lot like that. So not bad, decent actually but handled (jarringly) different than the two previous film. I give it 3 tophats (out of five).

Oh, and I reactivated my profiles on a couple of dating sites.

Sucker for punishment I tells ya....

No comments: